Monday, October 20, 2008

Important new mama skill - accepting help

I am not a person who very easily accepts help. I realize that this is a weakness for me. I always want people to think I am all put together and "with it." What would they think if I accept help? Would they snicker behind my back? Pity me? AHHH!!!

Of course, no one will think any less of me if I accept help, especially with a new baby. I was broken in the hard way when my first pregnancy blessed my husband and me with twin boys. Life with newborn twins, neither of whom was a very good sleeper, was rough. I remember that for the first six weeks or so, I thought getting more than four hours of sleep at night (TOTAL!) was a win. Oye. I had to accept help or I would have wound up in a mental institution.

I have come to see, however, that accepting help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of strength. How much more put together can I be if I allow other people to worry about things like dinner and cleaning so that I don't have to? I have learned the joy of letting other people play with my older boys so I can rest at home with my newborn, and I have stopped feeling guilty about it (well, most of the time).

I think the ability to accept help is something all new moms should be trained in before their baby arrives. Just think of how together you will be!

No comments: