Friday, July 18, 2008

Time Keeps on Tickin', Tickin', Tickin'...

Yesterday seemed to be one of those really great summer days. In the morning, B, E, and I met some friends at a pool and water park in a neighboring town. The boys played in the water while I (at least at some points) got to have some adult conversation. After finishing with our swimming adventures, we all ate lunch outside near the pool, and then enjoyed a long nap at home. After dinner last night, hubby and I took the boys to the park around the corner, where we played together for over an hour and then came home to play even more, washing hubby's car and watering the plants. To end the day, we all came in and had some ice cream. It was a perfect day, the kind that seem to permeate my memories of summer as a kid.

However, as the day winded down, I realized that summer's days are numbered. Days are getting shorter, and school will start before we know it. I mean, the days are already getting shorter! It just makes me really savor the fun we are having now.

Time isn't just flying with summer either - all of life seems to be speeding by! Yesterday, I officially reached the end of my 28th week of pregnancy. I am subscribed to an email update that tells us what is going on with the baby each week, and this week it told me there are 84 days until my due date - ONLY 84 DAYS!!! That is just crazy to me, especially because I will probably have my c-section scheduled at least a few days before that. 84 days. 12 weeks. 12 weekends in which to get stuff done (including this one)! I started to think of all of the things that I want to get done before Z arrives, not just to be ready for him, but to be caught up in all areas of our life. I started making a list of things to do before the delivery. In the first ten minutes, I generated 32 items for the list, everything from buying and installing window treatments in Z's room to developing all of our pictures and getting them into albums. I think we are in trouble.

I shouldn't just say that I want time to slow down because of all of the things that we have to do. I also want it to slow down so I can really savor all of the pre-baby things I have to enjoy: sleep, the chance to leave the house (fairly) easily, but most importantly, spending time just snuggling and loving the two boys I already have. I know life will be exponentially more hectic with the addition of a new infant to our home, throwing everything into chaos for a while, and I am trying to enjoy life the way it is - the calm before the storm. :)

Am I really excited for fall to come and Z to arrive? YES! Do I seem to miss him even though I haven't even met him yet? You bet. But am I happy to have some time before he arrives? Yes. I am totally conflicted about the passage of time, which I guess means I am no different from everyone else in the world. Everything is as it should be.

No comments: